Generally speaking, our daily food intake must comprise a balanced diet of 1500-2000k calories with fibre (above 75 gm) and low fat (below 30 gm). Consult your nutritionist for specific advice.
The guide to healthy eating pyramid provides you a balanced diet, with ample vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. The therapeutic benefit of these micro-nutrients are explained below.
Stress has existed from the time of Early Man but has now become an omnipresent phenomenon in the life of ‘Modern Man’. It has pervaded all layers of life.
Stress is the bio-psycho-social response of the body to a demand, mental or physical. Stress is an arousal response the body makes, when a situation is perceived as being stressful. The impact of this arousal affects emotional as well as cognitive thinking. The impact is seen in behavioral and physiological change.. When stress is long term and chronic it leads to chronic psychosomatic ailments. While there is an undeniable link between stress and illness, optimal stress is a prerequisite for success in every task. Stress is the wind beneath your wings pushing you towards achievement. If stress can trigger off psychosomatic ailments in those living in the fast track, it can be a trigger even to those who suffer from monotony, boredom or frustration. It is therefore very essential to bring a balance between too much and too little stress.
The first step in managing stress is to develop a stress-free personality. A high self-esteem, assertive behavior and a positive attitude help in building a stress-free perception. It also helps to focus on areas where control and change are possible. Locate the source of stress and use a problem solving approach to deal with it step by step. All stress you can understand. Some you can change. Some you may have little control over. You may then need to change your attitude and response towards these stressors. Thereby reducing stress.
Any exercise programme done regularly utilizes the body’s . Exercise not only makes the body fit, but also acclimatizes the heart and lungs to increased activity, as in stressful situations. Relaxation and result in calming brain waves, and reducing the . This is especially effective with stressrelated ailments such as Hypertension, Headaches, Digestive ailments, Cardiac ailments, Sleep problems to name just a few. Stress may be an irritant in your life or it may be a factor of passive existence. Change of perspective will help change this stress to an active, rewarding life. One of the best gifts of nature is sleep. Daily sleep of 6 - 8 hours helps in relaxation and repair of the body and mind. It provides sufficient time for deep - NREM and dream REM sleep restoring physical and mental health.
Stress may be an irritant in your life or it may be a factor of passive existence. Change of perspective will help change this stress to an active, rewarding life. One of the best gifts of nature is sleep. Daily sleep of 6 to 8 hours helps in relaxation and repair of the body and mind. It provides sufficient time for deep - NREM and dream REM sleep restoring physical and mental health.
Use some of these stress defense mechanisms & optimize your stress.
- Quality time for family will ensure that you have a retreat called home.
- Plan your career well, it will give you challenge, satisfaction & security.
- An assertive personality is responsible to self & others. Learn this skill.
- Communication is the key to relationship building. Listen better and your conflicts will slowly dissolve.
- Develop a sense of humor. Learn to laugh at life, its paradoxes and at yourself.
- Plan a little idleness & quietness each day. You will be able to recharge.
- Exercise is arousal and relaxation is the opposite. Yet both are necessary on a daily basis. Practice both.
- Sleep well and you will have renewed energy to face the next day’s Stresses.
- Plan your time well. You only have 24 /hours a day and many important areas to fit in. A simple formula for time & stress management. You could personalize it to suit your needs. Remember you can’t delete any activity or reduce time for health factors.
|8-10||Work, Occupation, Study|
|1||3 big and 2 small meals Quality family time|
|6||Relaxation, personal hygiene, social time, quiet personal time, others|
|24||Total time in a day|
EAR, NOSE, THROAT, TEETH, EYE CARE
- Have periodic examination of your ears, especially if you notice your hearing decreasing.
- Do not put drops, oil, etc. in your ears without doctor’s advise.
- Do not clean the ears with pins, keys, pens, etc.
- Do not remove from the ear without a doctor’s assistance.
- Do not unnecessarily- clean ears after bath with ear buds, etc.
- Loud noises are harmful for the ears.
- Do not slap children / others on the ears.
- Do not allow dirty water to enter into the ears.
- In all cases of ear ache, vertigo, nausea, vomiting etc.- immediately consult your doctor. , discharge from the ears, giddiness,
- Do not squeeze a boil or pimple around the area of the nose.
- Do not try and remove a foreign object from the nasal passage without a doctor’s assistance.
- Do not unnecessarily pick the nose or blow the nose vigorously.
- Avoid unnecessary misuse of nasal drops inhalers, etc. without a doctor’s approval.
- Consult your doctor immediately in case of injury and breathing difficulty.
- Avoid the.use of irritants to the throat such as smoking, chewing tobacco / paan, etc.
- Avoid putting coins, marbles, pins, etc. in the mouth.
- Do not shout, scream etc. this causes hoarseness. In cases of hoarseness - rest the throat without misuse till hoarseness passes. If hoarseness persists for more than 7 days, consult your doctor.
- Avoid eating excessively cold/hot spicy foods.
- Avoid talking when food/water is in the mouth.
- Eat food calmly- avoid hurry.
- In case of glandular swelling in the neck, consult your doctor.
- Brush your teeth once / twice a day prior to sleeping using a medium tooth brush.
- Massage your gums once a day with your finger for one minute.
- Avoid using abrasive tooth powders, salt, tobacco, etc. for cleaning the teeth.
- Avoid use of any other person’s tooth brush.
- Change your tooth brush atleast once every 90 days.
- Use dental floss for removing food particles, avoid the use of pins, etc.
- Do not smoke, use tobacco, chew gum, eat chocolate, candy etc.
- Eat plenty of crunchy fresh vegetables and fruit.
- In case of irregular, sharp, broken teeth, contact your dentist.
- Do not apply medicine without consulting your doctor.
- In case of tooth ache, gum bleeding, ulcers of the gum and cheek, white patches, etc., consult your dentist.
- Dental check every six months; especially for growing children is essential.